This Diwali, BSNL’s 3G Offer Ad attracted me to go for a 3G SIM. Starting this blog post, I plan to write couple of posts to share my experience with BSNL 3G service. To start with, my 3G requirement is only for a Data Card because I have no plans to upgrade my HTC Touch Viva Phone which is not capable of 3G. BSNL 3G Data Card meets my requirement; as it can be used as a replacement for any of your existing broadband service.
Here are some guidelines which will help you avoid round trips of BSNL Office (or any other Govt office… LOL):
- Get 1 Xerox copy of each of these documents:
- Identify Proof
- Address Proof (avoid taking bills, which are 3 or more months old)
- PAN Card
- 1 recent Passport Size Photograph
- You will be asked to show the Original of above documents. So do not miss to carry the Originals.
- To avoid dependencies on others:
- A good ball pen (Come on Techies… you will not get Keyboard access at BSNL office)
- Glue Stick
- Application form is free! Fill the entire application – do not miss the Signature fields on the form. Specify whether you want a Pre-Paid or a Post-Paid plan.
- Cash – Rs.2,000 for 3.6 Mbps Data Card (Rs.2,500 for 7.2 Mbps Data Card) and Rs.59 for a New 3G SIM. Check the BSNL offer for details on pricing.
- Find the exact counter that takes the application for New SIM and Data Card.
- Have patience. Follow the Queue. Keep smiling!
- A minimum of 30 minutes of required to complete all formalities and come back home with a Data Card + New 3G SIM in your hand. The maximum time may vary based on the BSNL Branch
As per the BSNL officials, the new 3G SIM will take about 24 hours to get activated. After the SIM gets activated, to make calls you need to perform recharge using FRC (First Recharge Coupon) of Rs.120. The new 3G SIM can be either used in 2G phone or 3G phone. It can also be inserted into the USB Data Card. You will be notified about the Activation through SMS.
In my next post, I will share my experience of 3G Data Card installation on a Desktop with Windows operating system.