Sep 28 2010

Google Chrome cannot be downloaded from Internet Explorer

Category: GoogleKamlesh @ 12:50 am

Today, I came across something really weird.  I am unable to download Google Chrome using Internet Explorer 8.   After going to this link, when click on Download Google Chrome button. This shows the Google Chrome Terms of Service screen.  When I click on Accept and Install button, I get Google 404 Not found error.

Google Chrome 404 Not Found Error

When I tried the above steps on Firefox, the download started without any problem.  Is this really a bug?  The logo on the error page seems to be the old Google Logo!  Has anybody faced this problem?

Update:

If my above sounded like a cribbing post, then here is something I loved to see after Google Chrome got installed.  The first time launch, showed up this screen :-)

Google Chrome prompting to choose a Search Engine


Sep 17 2010

MOSS 2007 VHD – The trial period for this product has expired (Resolved)

Category: Microsoft,SharePointKamlesh @ 12:49 am

I recently downloaded the pre-configured SharePoint 2007 VHD, which was published on May 3, 2010  (version 3.0) at this link. The total download size of parts 1 to 20 was around 13.3GB.  When this was extracted, it created Image014-7.vhd file of size 26 GB.  (now you may know why you don’t get a new <300GB disks for purchase).  I could run the VHD using the Hyper-V on Windows 2008 R2 server.  For the first time, when I started this pre-configured VHD, it was a big relief to see the expiry date as February 22, 2011.

Microsoft Office 2007 programs and Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 Image014-7 Expires: February 22, 2011

By the way, this VHD even comes with pre-configured SMTP/POP servers.  So you have a email-ready setup to learn SharePoint.

After spending 2 days of time on this evaluation VHD, today I wanted to try some Workflows.  On my SharePoint List, I choosed Settings -> List Settings -> Permissions and Management section -> Workflow settings option.  I selected the out of box “Approval” workflow, and typed a unique name for this workflow. Now, when I clicked the Next button, I was surprised to see “The trial period for this product has expired” error:

The trial period for this product has expired

Surprisingly, there was no such errors getting logged into the ULS Logs of 12 hive.  It was time to check the current SharePoint 2007 product version.  In the Central Administration, when I navigated to Operations -> Upgrade and Migration section -> Convert license type link, it indicated me that my current License is for “Office SharePoint Server Trial with Enterprise Client Access License“.

It was time to correct a common mistake, which most Techies do – “Have you read the Readme today?”.  I went back to the download link and reviewed the WIN03_MOSS_README.htm file.  This gave me another shock:

Program Details

The evaluation period for this virtual machine image ends @ 2/22/2011.  NO EFFORT SHOULD BE MADE TO ACTIVATE THIS IMAGE.  After 2/10/2010, the evaluation period is over and the image should be discarded.

So, whats the game of these two dates?  Well, I guess its nothing but a documentation bug.  Here is how I can prove this.  After some more Googling, I came across Update for 2007 Microsoft Office servers (KB971620), which saved all my effort.  Here are the direct links to download the Update patch:

Update for 2007 Microsoft Office servers (KB971620), 32-Bit Edition

Update for 2007 Microsoft Office servers (KB971620), 64-Bit Edition

It is highly recommended to read the complete KB article 971620 and 95334 on Microsoft Website, before installing this patch. As my VHD was for 32-bit edition of SharePoint 2007, I downloaded the 32-bit patch (office2007-kb971620-fullfile-x86-glb.exe) which is about 3.26MB.  The patch installation was very short and simple.  Please note that at the end, it prompts to reboot your server:

Update for 2007 Microsoft Office servers (KB971620)

After restarting my server, I didn’t get “The trial period for this product has expired” error while creating a Workflow.  Now it was time to double confirm the License Type. This time, in the Central Administration, when I navigated to Operations -> Upgrade and Migration section -> Convert license type link, it indicated me that my current License is for “Office SharePoint Server with Enterprise Client Access License“.

Once gain, I would request you to read the KB articles on Microsoft Site before making any changes to your environment.